Ugly Basil Quinoa Cakes
It's a terrible picture. Since I'm honest, you can trust me when I say these quinoa cakes fly off the platter at every gathering. Protein packed and worthy of making. Never mind that my picture taking was interrupted by screaming children and I forgot to go back and retake it.
1 cups Cooked and Cooled Quinoa
1 cup Chopped Basil
1/2 Chopped Fennel
1/4 Cup Parmesan or Nutritional Yeast
1/4 Cup of Pine Nuts or Cashews ground in a food processor
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs or (1 Flax Egg plus 1 Egg) You need at least one egg or they will flatten
1/2 tsp of Sea Salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix all of the ingredients
3. Lightly oil a cookie sheet with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
4. Form cakes into 2-3 inch rounds (1-2 inch for party appetizers). Place onto oiled cookie sheet and lightly brush olive oil across the top.
5. Bake for 15 minutes on one side and flip to bake for another 10. You want them slightly brown. The pic makes them look a bit burnt so don't follow that pic!
6. EAT or once cooled, freeze for a quick weekday snack/meal. Can serve on top of a salad with avocado for a quick protein/veg lunch!