Paleo Peppermint Patties
I have tried and tried and tried to make the best tasting peppermint patties for years. THIS is finally the winning recipe! I keep a stash in the freezer on the regular. What's great about desserts made with protein, is it slows the absorption rate of the maple syrup. This means no sugar high/crash. Plus, peppermint is great for digestion so it's the perfect after dinner treat!
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked (see note)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (Sometimes I use 1/4 cup coconut oil + 1/4 cup ghee)
3-4 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste (I used 4 tbsp)
2 tablespoons plant/nut milk
1 -2 teaspoon peppermint extract (see note)
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Lily's stevia sweetened)
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
*Cashews covered in water and soaked 4 hours or overnight
*Peppermint varies drastically. Taste after 1 tsp and add desired amount.
1. Drain and rinse cashews.
2. Blend cashews, coconut oil, maple syrup, milk and peppermint in a food processor/ blender until thoroughly smooth.
3. On a silpat or parchment paper lined pan OR in a muffin tin, place foil muffin liners and fill with 1/2-1 Tbsp of cashew mix. (see note)
4. Freeze for 30-60 minutes until completely hard
5. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over the lowest heat and stir constantly to avoid burning. Cool completely.
6. Remove the mint filling from the foil wrappers and dip into the cooled chocolate. Tap to remove excess chocolate and place back onto the silpat/parchment paper to freeze once more.
*There are times that my body can not eat chocolate without causing an outbreak of some kind. When that is the case and I want something sweet, I make the peppermint filling sans chocolate and I don't even feel like I am missing something.